You're using an unsupported web browser. Some features may not work correctly. Please check out our list of supported browsers for the best experience. Dismiss

Star Trek Online

Guest Blog: Open Starbase Project

By LaughingTrendy | Tue 18 Mar 2014 12:00:00 PM PDT

By The 26th Fleet

Star Trek Online Season 8 STO MMORPG F2P Sci-Fi MMO Game Legacy of Romulus
Officers of the 26th discussing a potentially dangerous situation.

2013 was an awesome year for Star Trek Online and the role playing community as a whole. A whole new faction was added to the game that added depth and flavor to the characters you might meet, as well as a whole new zone and fleet holding to help take the Star Trek story into the future! There was a lot to do and a lot to process both in and out of character. If you find yourself a bit confused at what role playing is right now, and why I'm writing about it, I'll let the dictionary do the talking for me. Role playing is by definition -- "The art of playing a character in a fictional setting." It’s just that simple! 

This year promises to be just as fun and exciting for role play as the last year was, from the new things coming down the pipeline for Season 9, to the things Cryptic surprises us with for STO and its characters is bound to be a treat. In October, the 26th Fleet opened its doors to the Open Starbase Project. We expected a small turn out after our blog had been posted, little did we know that the desire to interact with other role players had people turning out in droves. We hit the character cap for both the Starbase and the Embassy fleet holding several times. Luckily for us a few other role play fleets managed to pick up the slack for us and get stories going for our many visitors.

Thanks to the interest shown by our fellow role players, we're constructing a new website. This website isn't just another forum for Star Trek lore and discussion. This website is specific to the needs of the Open Starbase Project and the role play community. Once this website is done, other fleets who desire to open their bases will be able to list their contact information on the website and add it to our directory.

Keep in mind, this website is still a work in progress- but stay tuned great things are coming to the RP community in 2014!

An Officer of the 26th facing down the wrath of a Romulan Visitor.

Let's recap!

What is the Open Starbase Project?

The OSB Project is the 26th Fleet's attempt at providing a fixed location where role-players can congregate; a place where role-players can meet new people and network. In the months the OSB has been open we have met hundreds of interesting characters with unique back stories; strange ships and all manner of Starfleet, Romulan and even a few Klingon officers. Despite rumors to the contrary, Starbase 381 and the 26th Fleet remains open and dedicated to the public, offering new opportunities and adventures to the whole of the role play community. Those players whom have taken advantage of this project have since gone on to make new connections. Friendships were formed, Fleets were created and great stories were told.

Ships of all types manage to find berth at SB381

Starbase 381 resides in a Dwarf Galaxy first conceived by our friends at Star Trek: Starfinder, Praetorian stands poised at the entrance to a new galaxy of wonder and excitement, a Galaxy where anything is possible and the imaginations of the community can run wild.

We now invite you to join us on Starbase 381. Join the adventure, join the fun, and join together.

Go Boldly....

An Officer of the 26th attempts to Haggle with the Diamon of Qul's Unique Acquisition Company

FAQ

Q: How does one gain access to Starbase 381?

A: The chat channel ‘SB381’ has been specifically created to handle starbase docking requests. Join the chat channel, and request docking permission. Praetorian's staff of Starfleet officers will direct you to a docking assignment and grant you and your crew shore leave! Torg's Bar is located on the Promenade; it's become a hot spot in the 6 months that the Open Starbase Project has been running.

Q: I've never roleplayed before. I have no idea what I'm doing; can I hang around and see what it's all about?

A: Absolutely! Role-playing is a hobby, and like any hobby, the people who share in it and enjoy it want to introduce it to new people. Come to the base, hang out, and watch how it's done. When you feel comfortable enough to partake, jump right in.

Q: What sort of character is going to be welcome on your station?

A: Simply put, most. We're a guild that tries to find more ways to say 'yes' to roleplay, so as long as it's consistent with Star Trek canon, we doubt we're going to see a problem. We're trying to recreate some of the atmosphere from Deep Space Nine, with Starfleet officers, Federation allies, civilians, etc. freely roaming the station and engaging in missions and mischief together.

Q: Are we going to run into any inappropriate RP out in the open on your starbase?

A: No, you're not. If we see it happening we'll kindly ask that it be taken elsewhere. We're trying to generate a safe atmosphere on the base that is classified as PG13. If we have to ask the same individuals continuously to keep RP appropriate, we may not be able to re-invite them back to the base in the future.

Q: Can I blow up your starbase?

A: Please don't. Like all fleets, we've worked hard to get where we are now, and would appreciate it not being destroyed by a natural disaster or a bomb. However, if you have an idea that you think other guests would enjoy, please bring it to the fleet's leaders so we can discuss it. Our goal is to make an atmosphere where all are welcome and comfortable to RP.

Q: Can I create a mini (or large) plot involving your station and fleet members?

A: RP of all (appropriate) kinds is welcome. The idea is to network and generate our own content, bring your imagination and see who else will be interested in taking part in your ideas.

Q: What sort of conflict can I start on the station?

A: If the conflict is 'serious' (e.g. gun fights or similar), that will need to be worked out as a storyline with the people involved, and especially station security. If it is something like a verbal confrontation, or perhaps a bar fight, then have at it but be prepared for the constable to come break it up.... maybe.

Q: How long are we permitted to stay on the station for each session?

A: You can stay as long as you want, provided there are no unnecessary conflicts, or you are not AFK for an extended period of time. Remember, we want the base to be welcoming to all types of roleplay, but we also need to keep in mind that each map has a maximum number of players allowed at any given time. The Embassy and Dilithium Mine have a cap of around 20 players, the Starbase -around 50 and its space map of around 75. If you take too long being AFK, you might find yourself removed when you get back. This is nothing personal; it's just a need to make room for active roleplay.

Q: Who are your Senior Members?

A: Our Adjuncts are identified on our fleet website via the ‘MEMBERS’ tab.

Q: Which members can I contact if I have a problem with someone or something?

A: If you have an issue with a member of the 26th Fleet, you can speak to someone in the fleet's leadership. However, personal issues between players need to be handled independently, and if there is concern for something that may be breaking to game’s TOS, please file a GM report.

Q. What languages are spoken by the current community participating in ‘SB381’?

A: English, German (non-fluent), French, Spanish (non-fluent), Finnish, Russian (non-fluent), Swedish, Dutch, Korean and Cantonese.

An Officer preparing to duel a Klingon Captain for the fate of Praetorian.

We look forward to seeing you in-game and on Starbase 381!

-The 26th Fleet

Index of Guest Blogs

- - - - -

Click here to learn more about Legacy of Romulus, our free-to-play expansion for Star Trek Online. Advance your journey of rebuilding the Romulan legacy with a Legacy Pack purchase! Click on the logo below to learn more about it.

Want more game details, screens, and videos? Like Star Trek Online on Facebook for more exclusive content and follow us on Twitter – tweet us your questions! And, subscribe to our YouTube channel for the latest Star Trek Online videos.

- - - - -

Discuss this in the Forums

sto-news, star-trek-online, sto-launcher,

Most Recent More

All platforms get the Phoenix Prize Pack Event starting tomorrow!
Read more
Check out all the exciting changes coming to Star Trek Online in our latest patch notes!
Read more
Mudd is dreading this next bundle release - get it? Get it?
Read more

hover media query supported