You're using an unsupported web browser. Some features may not work correctly. Please check out our list of supported browsers for the best experience. Dismiss

Star Trek Online

Guest Blog: Organized Space PvP

By CaptainSmirk | Tue 25 Feb 2014 12:00:00 PM PST

By @NazHuggyBear2

I’m going to let you guys and girls in on a little corner of the STO Universe where not many people seem to venture. A place you can go to once you’ve done the endgame content & got all the fleet gear you'd ever want or need.

At this point, you might be thinking “What else is there left to do in STO?” Some might say RPing, running record breaking STF runs, Foundry missions, Accolade Hunting, DOFF missions, or PvP. Whatever floats your boat as the saying goes, have fun doing it.

For this guest blog, I’ve been given the opportunity to inform you about a small community of players who enjoy a specific part of this game: Player vs Player (PvP). For me and a lot of others, it’s the Final Frontier for STO where one match is never the same as the next. It’s the obsession that keeps bringing me back to STO month after month, year after year.

There are various types of PvP in this game:

Kerrat

Star Trek Online Season 8 STO MMORPG F2P Sci-Fi MMO Game Legacy of Romulus

- A free for all zone where you just duke it out with each other whilst avoiding the dreaded Borg, Federation vs. Klingons – The old school neverending battle.

Capture & Hold

- 10 vs 10 (when possible if the queues allow) to capture and hold strategic points longer than the enemy team.

Arena

- 5 vs 5 where the first team to score 15 kills wins.

Shuttle PvP

- I personally haven’t had much time to test and play this style of PvP yet, but I’m sure it’s really appreciated none the less by most of the PvP community.

For me personally, Arena 5 v 5 is where most of the fun is in Space PvP. However, it is very hard for newcomers to break into. There are seasoned PvP players & PvP dedicated fleets roaming the queues that can appear to be unbeatable. Ever wonder how? Fear not, we have the PvP Bootcamp in full swing for the guys and gals who want to learn all things Space PvP. The link to the STO Bootcamp forum thread is here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=351

The STO PvP forum is also a good place to for vast amounts of basic PvP knowledge gathered since the beginning of STO. The link to the PvP forum is here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125

You could always send a private message / tell to an opponent who caught your eye after the match and ask him or her for help. Most people will give it graciously. Don’t be scared to ask for help; it’s definitely not a sign of weakness. It shows that you want to improve and are willing to do something about it.

So now you’ve got the basics under your belt, and you are faring a lot better in the queues after PvP Bootcamp. You’re addicted to PvP by now, but most of your fleet can’t feed your habit because they don’t PvP. What can you do now? Well, Tyler Durden is one solution that allows you to play with likeminded people.

If you know who Tyler Durden is, it may give away what the aim of what TD is about. I’ll leave it as a little bit of trivia and let you connect the dots so to speak.

The participants of Tyler Durden provide a TeamSpeak server which you can use at any time for Tyler Durden matches or just general get-togethers for all things PvP. The address is:

tylerdurden.failnoob.com:9988.

Match participation is announced in the OrganizedPvP channel and the Tyler Durden channel (No invitation required to either channel, join them if you feel up to it: /channel_join OrganizedPvP or /channel_join Tyler Durden ). Usually we do not need to make a request for participants as there are quite a few players ready to kick the hell out of each other on TeamSpeak.

There are no fixed times for the matches but they occur randomly and regularly.  Just a few days ago, TD matches were randomly announced in the channels and went on for 11 hours straight with people leaving and joining. Most matches lasted approx. 30 minutes. I was personally glued to the computer from midnight to 8am.

You might be thinking why not just queue up for the Arenas? Simple answer to this is that in Tyler Durden (TD), the participants strive for every player to have an equal chance of winning and also try to ensure every participant has fun. (See picture above). We purposely don’t allow fleet premades in unless they want to participate as individuals willing to be teamed with other none fleeted members.

The main reason for TD is that it allows members of fleets that don’t have PvP heritage - backgrounds to participate in full team based Space PvP matches. It allows the experienced PvPers to rub shoulders with the lesser experienced ones. Also gives an insight to what strategies are utilized in a 5 v 5 team based PvP match.

To get the most out of TD, I would highly recommend participating with full voice communication on TeamSpeak. This allows for far superior team play in my opinion and you get team based PvP experience much more effectively.

If you don’t feel like participating but just want to listen in, you are more than welcome to do so just to get a feel for it. Just inform the participants you want to do that and no one will object.

There are a few things I would like to stress. PvP matches can be hosted by anyone and everyone. It isn’t intended to be run by a single person or group. It can be extremely competitive so it can get intense. This can be a big rush to highly competitive players. There will still be a skill divide so be patient with the lesser skilled PvPers. If you feel like you need help, most of the guys in TD will help. They give sound advice.

So TD in summary is a group of random STO PvPers coming together, setting up teams, saying good luck and beating the hell out of each other without any of the fleet drawbacks. Now, if this sounds like as much fun to you as it is for others like me in STO, I look forward to seeing you on TeamSpeak duking it out with each other in internet spaceships.

If you want any further information on Tyler Durden, send me a message, email me in game or even better, jump onto TeamSpeak and ask away. I’m usually on between 5pm GMT and 11pm GMT most nights. Hope to see you, the future Gladiators & Titans of STO PvP stepping into a TD Arena soon. As a friend of mine says, “Have fun and kill bad guys”.

@NazHuggyBear2

Fleet Memberships = -Disorderly Conduct-, Sad Pandas, Hax Pandas, Nerds of Prey, Shutup Wesley, Evil-grand-pa’s, Lag Industries

(Yeah I know I get around)

- - - - -

Click here to learn more about Legacy of Romulus, our free-to-play expansion for Star Trek Online. Advance your journey of rebuilding the Romulan legacy with a Legacy Pack purchase! Click on the logo below to learn more about it.

Want more game details, screens, and videos? Like Star Trek Online on Facebook for more exclusive content and follow us on Twitter – tweet us your questions! And, subscribe to our YouTube channel for the latest Star Trek Online videos.

- - - - -

Discuss in the Forums

sto-launcher, sto-news, star-trek-online,

Most Recent More

Save 25% on Keys and the Keyring Bundle over the next 48 hours on PC!
Read more
Check out the exciting changes coming to Star Trek Online in our latest patch notes!
Read more
Get an overview of all our events and sales for this week!
Read more

hover media query supported