You're using an unsupported web browser. Some features may not work correctly. Please check out our list of supported browsers for the best experience. Dismiss

Star Trek Online

STO - Free-to-Play Matrix & FAQ

By CaptainSmirk | Mon 30 Dec 2013 12:32:00 PM PST

Free to Play FAQ

Q: What is Star Trek Online?

Star Trek Online is a free-to-play (F2P) MMORPG set in the Star Trek universe and includes customizable ships and characters from the United Federation of Planets, Klingon Empire, and Romulan Republic, as well as ground and space gameplay. Players can also design and create their own content to share with their friends and the entire Star Trek Online community using The Foundry toolset.

Q: What is Free-to-Play?

Simply, anyone can play Star Trek Online at no cost. No subscription is required. You don't even have to buy the game. You can download and play for free! In the Free-to-Play model, players have the option to purchase services, items and content to customize their gameplay. These purchases expand upon an already complete experience and allow you to further customize your characters and enjoy the game in new ways. You can access this new material in the C-Store and use ZEN to make your purchases.

Q: Will I need a credit card to play?

No. However, should you wish to purchase items from the C-Store, you’ll need a valid credit card, PayPal account, direct debit or other supported payment method.

Q: What is the C-Store?

The C-Store is an in-game virtual goods shop from which you can purchase items to enhance your Star Trek Online experience. For example, you can buy Retrain Tokens (which allow you to reorganize your character advancement choices), new costume pieces, Captain Rename tokens, premium ships, and much more! You can view a catalog of items currently available for purchase inside the Star Trek Online game. To access the C-Store in-game, simply click on the inverted triangle in the lower right-hand corner of your mini-map interface. Then select "Visit the C-Store" to begin browsing.

Q: What is ZEN?

ZEN is the currency you use to purchase goods and services from the C-Store. You can purchase ZEN online via one of several payment methods. You do not need to purchase ZEN to play Star Trek Online.

Q: What is Dilithium? How do I earn it?

Dilithium replaces the old "Marks" and "Emblems" of Star Trek Online. Your current Marks, Badges, and Emblems will be converted into this new single currency. All standard ships that previously cost energy credits will now cost Dilithium. In-game stores which currently take Marks and Emblems will now take Dilithium as well. Instead of receiving free ship tokens, players will now receive Dilithium through natural play which can be used to purchase ships and gear. Ships purchased with Dilithium will be character unlocks, while ships which are purchased using ZEN will be account unlocks, similar to the way things unlock with energy credits, marks or emblems today.

Q: I would still like to subscribe. Can I?

Absolutely. We offer an entirely optional subscription for players who prefer it. Players who are currently subscribed will remain subscribed until they choose to unsubscribe. We call all subscribers Gold Members. All Gold Members receive special access to content and services that may not be freely available for Silver Players. Please see our Features Matrix for more details.

Q: What are the differences between Silver Players and Gold Members?

Silver Players are the Star Trek Online players who have opted to play the game without subscribing. They have full access to the game, but prefer the free-to-play model. Gold Members are players who have elected to subscribe or continue subscribing to Star Trek Online. The Features Matrix describes these differences in more detail.

Q: How do I become a Gold Member?

If you choose to subscribe or continue subscribing to Star Trek Online, you automatically become a Gold Member. If you're a Lifetime Subscriber, you're also considered a Gold Member. If you are not a Gold Member but would like to become one, you may subscribe via your account management pages on this official website.

Q: I'm currently a regular or Lifetime subscriber to Star Trek Online. Where do I fit in?

Regular subscribers become Gold Members automatically. Subscribers are charged a regular fee based on one of the several subscription options they have chosen. Lifetime subscribers, also Gold Members, are those players who have opted to pay a single one-time fee for Gold Membership. If you stop subscribing, you become a Silver Player. Not all of the features that characters on a Gold account have may be available to Silver Players. Lifetime subscribers also become Gold Members automatically and will not be charged a continuing subscription fee. Basically, nothing changes for Lifetime subscribers: They continue to have complete access to the same content, items and episodes the way they always have.

Q: I’m a loyal subscriber. What will happen to my Veteran Rewards?

Veteran Rewards will remain in place for subscribers. Those who have earned these rewards will be able to keep them. These rewards are only available to players who choose to subscribe to Star Trek Online. For more information regarding Veteran Rewards, please see our Veteran Rewards page.

Q: I used to have an active subscription to Star Trek Online. Can I play my existing characters as a Silver Player?

Your characters are still available, but they may not be able to use all features that are available if you were to be a Gold Player.

Q: I canceled my Star Trek Online subscription, but I'm interested in becoming a Silver Player. Will I have the same access to the game as I did previously?

Your characters are still available, but they may not be able to use all features that are available if you were to be a Gold Player. Additionally, Gold Members and Silver Players differ in Star Trek Online. A player who previously subscribed to Star Trek Online and then returned to game as a Silver Player will not have the same exact features provided to Gold Members. The Features Matrix describes these differences in more detail.

Q: If I decide to downgrade from Gold to Silver, what happens to all my stuff?

Characters will remain when switching from Gold to Silver. However, not all features that character had during Gold membership may be available to Silver players. Please note that we never delete character data. If a Gold Member cancels his or her subscription and decides to restart it at a later date, all of that Member's characters and associated items will be intact.

Q: What type of in-game mail and chat restrictions do Silver Players have?

Silver Player chat and e-mail is rate-limited (though you would likely never see the limit if you chat or e-mail normally). They cannot use broadcast chat and may only send private messages ("tells") to players who are their friends. These restrictions are in place to curtail spammers. More information can be found in the Features Matrix.

Q: Will there be any changes to the C-Store now that STO is going free-to-play?

Yes. We'll be reviewing the content and prices of goods on offer in the C-store. This includes prices for ships at all tiers. For now, we know that some previously purchasable playable species will soon be free (Ferengi, Rigelian, Pakled, Tellarite), and others (Liberated Borg, Joined Trill, Federation Klingons) will be earned through other means. If you have already unlocked access to any C-store items, including playable species, you will retain that access in the free-to-play transition.

PLEASE NOTE: Subject to change. We're continually implementing improvements and changes and may alter the free-to-play experience significantly based on user feedback.

Subject to Change
We're continually implementing improvements and changes and may alter the free-to-play experience.

Create a Guild
Create a Guild - Silver = Limit goes away when any of the following is met: 20 hours of aggregate play across all characters, account has ever had a subscription, account carries a ZEN balance, account has made a C-Store purchase.

Energy Credit Storage Limit
Energy Credit Storage Limit - Gold = 1 Billion Energy Credit Cap
Energy Credit Storage Limit - Silver = 10 Million Energy Credit Cap. An EC Cap upgrade may be purchased from the C-Store.

Dilithium Refinement Cap
Dilithium Refinement Cap - Gold = Gold Members refine Dilithium automatically upon logging in, up to one week's worth of dilithium.
Dilithium Refinement Cap - Silver = Silver Players must log in and refine Dilithium manually each day.

Additional Bridge Officer Slots
Additional Bridge Officer Slots - Gold = *Earned at the Lt. Commander, Commander, and Rear Admiral, Lower Half Ranks. Additional slots may also be purchased in the C-Store.
Additional Bridge Officer Slots - Silver = *Earned at the Captain and Rear Admiral, Lower Half Ranks. Additional slots may also be purchased in the C-Store.

Max Free Inventory
Max Free Inventory = Overall max purchasable slots at 198.

Max Free Bank Inventory
Max Free Bank Inventory = Overall max purchasable slots at 234.

Account Shared Bank Slots
The Account Shared Bank is accessible from any Bank console and your bridge’s Ready Room. Only non-bound and Bind to Account on Equip items may be stored in the Account Shared Bank.

Account Shared Bank Slots 
Account Shared Bank Slots - Gold = Additional Account Shared Bank Slots may be purchased in the C-Store up to 120.

Costume / Uniform Slots
Costume / Uniform Slots- Gold = Players start with two slots. A third slot unlocks after joining a fleet. Additional Slots available for purchase in C-Store.
Costume / Uniform Slots - Silver = Players start with two slots. A third slot unlocks after joining a fleet. Additional Slots available for purchase in C-Store.

Foundry Creator Access
Foundry Creator Access - Silver = The Foundry can be unlocked with purchase of Foundry Project Slots.

Playable Foundry Content
Playable Foundry Content - Gold = Additional Foundry slots may be unlocked using Dilithium or purchased in the C-Store.
Playable Foundry Content - Silver = Additional Foundry slots may be unlocked using Dilithium or purchased in the C-Store.

Veteran Rewards 
Veteran Rewards - Gold = Gold Members get access to special Veteran Rewards.

Priority Login
Priority Login - Gold Members are placed in the front of the login queue.

In-Game Chat
In-game Chat - Silver = Rate limited, broadcast chat restricted, private messages only to friends. Limits go away when any of the following is met: 20 hours of aggregate play across all characters, account has ever had a subscription, account carries a ZEN balance, account has made a C-Store purchase.

In-Game Mail
In-game Mail - Silver = Rate limited, can only send to friends. Limits go away when any of the following is met: 20 hours of aggregate play across all characters, account has ever had a subscription, account carries a ZEN balance, account has made a C-Store purchase.

Monthly Stipend
Promotional Points differ from ZEN in that they can only be used in Star Trek Online. ZEN, however, may be used across all Cryptic Studios' games.

star-trek-online,

Most Recent More

Save on Keys, Lobi Store Items and Dilithium Store items, and spend that Dilithium on Vanity Shields!
Read more
Check out all the exciting changes coming to Star Trek Online in our latest patch notes!
Read more
The war, and science, ship of the Orion is coming to the Infinity Lockbox on PC tomorrow!
Read more

hover media query supported